It’s New Year’s Eve, and 2018 is coming to a close. January 2019 marks three months of blogging for me, and the only thing I have to say is – I can’t believe I didn’t do this earlier! I’d been toying with the idea of starting my own blog for years, and now that I have, it’s even more fun than I imagined! With that, I have here today my wrap up for the year and an introduction to 2019: my blogging plans, TBR and more!
Best of 2018
I had a reading goal of 50 books for this year, and I’m pleased to share that I have reached that mark. I even managed to get through re-reads for some old favourites like Percy Jackson and Harry Potter and am currently midway through a full series re-read for Throne of Glass (reviews coming soon!). 2018 was a great year for new releases, and nearly every highly anticipated novel on my list was rated very highly. Here are my top 10 novels of 2018:
- Kingdom of Ash – Sarah J Maas
- Queen of Air and Darkness – Cassandra Clare
- Bright We Burn – Kiersten White
- Wildcard – Marie Lu
- War Storm – Victoria Aveyard
- Hero at the Fall – Alwyn Hamilton
- The Burning Maze – Rick Riordan
- Immortal Reign – Morgan Rhodes
- Smoke and Iron – Rachel Caine
- Inferno – Julie Kagawa
Coming up in 2019
Moving into next year, I’m hoping to increase the frequency of my blog posts, introducing some variety in my content alongside full-length reviews which will remain once a week. In terms of the books I read, 2018 was heavily fantasy focused, and I’m hoping to balance it out with historical fiction this year – I have some really promising ones already picked out!
I’m also taking up NovelKnight’s Beat the Backlist Challenge this year in an effort to thin down the nearly 100 titles released in the past 4-5 years that I haven’t had a chance to get to because university has wreaked havoc on my TBR. Here are some of the top priority titles on my backlist, mainly either series ending titles, or those with sequels releasing early this year:
- A Reaper at the Gates – Sabaa Tahir
- Legendary – Stephanie Garber
- Allied – Amy Tintera
- Blood and Sand – C. V. Wyk
- The Traitor Prince – C. J. Redwine
- Renegades – Marissa Meyer
- Three Dark Crowns (series) – Kendare Blake
- Even the Darkest Stars – Heather Fawcett
- The Case for Jamie – Brittany Cavallaro
- Dawn of Legends – Eleanor Herman
To see my entire backlist shelf, click here. There are two other challenges I’m looking into – but more information on that later in the month. Finally, alongside the many exciting 2019 releases (check out my winter list here), I’m also going back for a round of re-reads from classics to childhood favourites, all motivated by my boxing day shopping (the large part of which, as you may guess, was spent in the bookstore).
Wishing everyone a Happy New Year 2019 filled with amazing books!
What were your favourite books of 2018? I’d love to hear from you in the comments!