Hello readers! I can’t believe it’s time for another monthly wrap up already – April certainly flew by, and with it the first third of 2021. The major event this month for me was the Shadow and Bone Netflix series, which was amazing – it’s easily one of the best book to screen adaptations I’ve seen in some time. I read quite an interesting mix of books this month when I wasn’t completely distracted by the show, and some were totally unexpected in how good – or bad – they turned out to be. Let’s take a look at my April wrap up!
Goodreads Challenge Progress: 58/100
Book of the Month
Following the war with Hybern, Prythian is slowly healing and returning to normal. But Nesta has far from adjusted to becoming High Fae and is headed down a very self-destructive path. The horrors of the battle, seeing her Father die and being forced into a Cauldron still haunt her. Sent to train with Cassian by Feyre and Rhysand in a last attempt to help her, Nesta sets out on a difficult journey of healing and acceptance. But the mortal queens who returned to the Continent are plotting, and have formed an alliance with an ancient enemy, and Nesta’s unique powers, which she has kept buried deep, might very well be the key to defeating them.
When I first heard about this book some time last year, I honestly considered not reading it. I didn’t enjoy A Court of Frost and Starlight, and most of the time, I dislike it when a complete story is further dragged out with spin offs or novellas. Nesta has never been my favourite character in this series either, so there wasn’t much motivation to pick up this book initially. However, I really should have known better than to doubt a book by Sarah J. Maas. It took me a while to start fully enjoying the story, but the familiar world, characters and above all, the writing, had me flying through the pages in just over 5 hours. A Court of Silver Flames is narrated through Cassian and Nesta’s POVs, so it was interesting to get a fresh perspective of the characters we know and love.
Books I Read in April 2021
- Witches Steeped in Gold (Witches Steeped in Gold #1) – Ciannon Smart (ARC) (🌟🌟🌟🌟)
- Shipped – Meredith Tate (ARC) (🌟🌟🌟🌟)
- A Court of Silver Flames (ACOTAR #4) – Sarah J. Maas (🌟🌟🌟🌟)
- These Feathered Flames (These Feathered Flames #1) – Alexandra Overy (ARC) (🌟🌟🌟🌟)
- The Lost Apothecary – Sarah Penner (🌟🌟🌟🌟)
- Realm Breaker (Realm Breaker #1) – Victoria Aveyard (ARC) (🌟🌟🌟🌟)
- Rule of Wolves (King of Scars #2) – Leigh Bardugo (🌟🌟🌟 1/2)
- The Woman With The Blue Star – Pam Jenoff (ARC) (🌟🌟🌟🌟)
- Blessed Monsters (Something Dark and Holy #3) – Emily A. Duncan (🌟🌟🌟🌟)
- A Thousand Ships – Natalie Haynes (🌟🌟🌟🌟)
- Yes No Maybe So – Becky Albertalli & Aisha Saeed (🌟🌟🌟🌟)
- Honor Among Thieves (The Honors #1) – Rachel Caine & Ann Aguirre (🌟🌟🌟🌟)
- Admission – Julie Buxbaum (🌟🌟🌟1/2)
- Asterix the Gladiator (Asterix #4) – Goscinny & Uderzo (🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟)
- Shadow and Bone (GrishaVerse #1) – Leigh Bardugo (🌟🌟🌟🌟)
Other Posts & Reviews This Month
Have you read any of these books or do you plan to? What was your reading month like? Let’s chat in the comments below!