Let’s Talk Bookish: What is your posting type?

Let’s Talk Bookish is a weekly meme hosted by Rukky @ Eternity Books and Dani @ Literary Lion. Today’s topic is What is your posting type?

Everyone blogs differently, how do you do it? Do you schedule posts long before they’re published, how long? Do you write several drafts of a post and edit them, or do you not edit at all? Perhaps you simply write a post and put it up for the world to see immediately? There’s no right or wrong answer!

My blogging schedule is an indispensable part of the blogging process for me. I usually have posts planned out as far as two months ahead of time, which not only helps me organize my TBR, but is also very useful in identifying which days are going to be busier (this usually happens at the beginning of each month when there are several days of back to back posts scheduled). While I do have a schedule, I don’t usually write any of these posts in advance, with a few exceptions.

How I write a post depends a lot on what type of post it is. For book reviews, I like to sit down and finish writing it all at once, which means I draft, edit and finalize it in one session. I prefer not to go back and modify book reviews before publishing them unless it’s something grammatical because what I write in my first draft is usually the most honest opinion I have of the book and that’s the version I want to share on my blog.

My monthly wrap up posts are usually started at the beginning of the month and then updated regularly throughout, so I only need to do a cursory check the day before it’s posted. My weekly WWW Wednesday is written the night before and I have a template I use for it, so no edits are necessary. Posts featuring new and anticipated books each month are usually written and scheduled several weeks in advance and I try to do the same for discussion posts like this one too. Discussion posts, I think are the only ones that go through several edits because I always come up with new points later.

The one thing that is consistent in my posting style though, is that I never publish a post as soon as I am done writing it – and this is mainly because of convenience. After experimenting with different posting times over several months, I found that midnight and noon usually work best for me and seem to gain maximum reader interaction. It’s extremely unlikely that I’d be writing that late into the night, and noon is the middle of the work day so that’s not possible either, so all my posts end up being scheduled at least a day in advance, if not more. It also has the bonus of giving me some room to fix any errors or rearrange things if I want to substitute it with a different post.

What is your posting style? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

22 thoughts on “Let’s Talk Bookish: What is your posting type?

1. JamieAdStories August 6, 2021 / 2:18 am

I like how organised you are. I probably need to start posting at a regular time too.

Liked by 2 people

2. readandreviewit1 August 6, 2021 / 11:06 am

This is such an interesting post! I personally end up writing my reviews the day they go out because I’m so disorganised, but I’d really like to get into scheduling more. Thanks for sharing!

Liked by 2 people

• Raji (@journeyintofantasy) August 7, 2021 / 11:49 am

Thanks for reading! Using a schedule definitely keeps me sane on the blogging front, especially this year since I’ve increased the number of weekly posts.

Liked by 2 people

3. frayedbooks August 6, 2021 / 11:21 am

I admire you for have posts so well planned out! I start my wrap up post beginning of each month and edit it as the month goes on too, that makes the most sense (which took me a while to figure out, but I’m glad I did). And thats interesting midnight or noon works best for you! I’ve typically scheduled all my posts for ~8am EST but I might try and change it up and see if that helps views at all! Great post 🙂

• Raji (@journeyintofantasy) August 7, 2021 / 11:53 am

Thank you! I’ve found that the best posting time can often vary across days too – the few times I’ve posted on a Monday morning, they always do very well. It’s a lot of trial and error!

4. Miriam Elen August 6, 2021 / 6:24 pm

I’ve only just started my blogging journey but so far with my posts, I have been writing a draft in one sitting, editing and adding photos in another session, and possibly another edit session before scheduling to post. Like you, I don’t post immediately, but set it to publish at a certain time. I am looking to be more organised with what I write and what days though!

• Raji (@journeyintofantasy) August 7, 2021 / 11:56 am

Welcome to the blogging community! It’s definitely a lot of trial and error in the beginning, but once you’ve got a process and schedule that works it makes things so much easier!

• Miriam Elen August 7, 2021 / 6:14 pm

Thank you! I bet. And I’m lucky to have some guidance posts to read and learn from as well

5. Dating Bitch August 6, 2021 / 9:43 pm

That’s really interesting that noon or midnight works best for you. I’ve been scheduling all of mine to be published in the morning – usually around 7 am, but then I promote it on social media throughout the day and the next day.

• Raji (@journeyintofantasy) August 7, 2021 / 11:58 am

It’s interesting how different times work for different bloggers even within the same time zones! I agree though, promoting a post for a day or two on social media makes a huge difference.

6. Hannah_Cauldron August 7, 2021 / 11:25 am

For me, it depends on the post. I tend to schedule First Lines Friday posts, as they’re really quick to write, and it means that I’ll definitely have one post every week. WWW Wednesday posts are always written on the day, as my reading schedule tends to change quite quickly. The rest of my posts are a mixture of scheduling and writing on the day – it really depends on when I want the post to be out, and if I’m likely to be able to write the post on the day! Thank you for sharing!

7. Kayslee Decker August 7, 2021 / 11:31 pm

I enjoyed reading this! I’ve been blogging for almost a year now and have just now gotten the hang (almost) of writing and scheduling posts ahead of time. Truly admire your ability to not stay up past midnight the night before you want to publish a post because you haven’t finished writing it yet! Gold stars for you 😅😹😊
    – Kayslee Decker, The Fangirl Fulfilled

• Raji (@journeyintofantasy) August 8, 2021 / 6:57 pm

Thanks for reading! It was definitely very tempting to stay up just to finish writing a post in the beginning, but planning ahead scheduling things out well in advance helped a lot.

8. Alicia thompson August 8, 2021 / 12:39 am

Hello! What a great post! I post my posts after a few rounds of editing but I like to keep them as a raw as possible as I believe that’s my best work. It really does depend on the piece. Alicia

9. Jodie | That Happy Reader August 8, 2021 / 11:58 am

What a great post Raji! Like you I have my posts schedule drawn up in advance and find that consistency helps keep me organized. I have never thought of posting at different times but I’m definitely going to try this now. Thanks for sharing!

Liked by 2 people

10. I'm All Booked Up YA August 9, 2021 / 9:04 am

It’s great that you plan so far in advance. Sometimes we plan ahead and other times we have an idea and just go with it.

Liked by 2 people