September has just flown by! It was an excellent reading month, as I finally got to read some of my most anticipated releases of the year, with several more lined up on my TBR in the coming weeks. Let’s take a look!
Goodreads Challenge Progress: 118/150
Book of the Month
The land of Huaxia has been at war with the Hunduns and mecha aliens beyond the Great Wall for many centuries and the only way to fight them are using Chrysalises, giant robots that require a boy-girl pair to activate and pilot. The girl of the pair often dies of the mental strain involved in the process, but the harshly patriarchal and misogynistic society sees them as acceptable losses.
When Zetian’s sister is killed by one of the most famous male pilots, she enlists as a concubine-pilot to gain vengeance. And on the field, a shocking and unprecedented event occurs – instead of dying from the strain, she instead overpowers the male pilot through the psychic bond, killing him and taking control of the Chrysalis to return unharmed.
Labelled an Iron Widow, the army is eager to silence her and pairs her up with the strongest pilot in Huaxia. But while this was initially about vengeance for Zetian, the taste of power she has gained has her seeking more and more, determined to break down the skewed pilot system and stop any more girls from being sent to their deaths.
Books I Read in September 2021
- Iron Widow (Iron Widow #1) – Xiran Jay Zhao (ARC) (🌟🌟🌟🌟 1/2)
- All These Bodies – Kendare Blake (ARC) (🌟🌟🌟🌟)
- Dark Rise (Dark Rise #1) – C. S. Pacat (ARC) (🌟🌟🌟🌟)
- This Is Why We Lie – Gabriella Lepore (ARC) (🌟🌟🌟1/2)
- Beasts of Prey – Ayana Gray (ARC) (🌟🌟🌟🌟)
- The City Beautiful – Aden Polydoros (ARC) (🌟🌟🌟🌟)
- Jade Fire Gold – June C. L. Tan (ARC) (🌟🌟🌟🌟)
- Luminous – Mara Rutherford (ARC) (🌟🌟🌟🌟)
- When Night Breaks (Kingdom of Cards #2) – Janella Angeles (ARC) (🌟🌟🌟🌟)
- Asterix the Legionary (Asterix #10) – Goscinny & Uderzo (🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟)
- Asterix & the Chieftain’s Shield (Asterix #11) – Goscinny & Uderzo (🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟)
Other Posts & Reviews This Month
Have you read any of these books or do you plan to? What was your reading month like? Let’s chat in the comments below!