Let’s Talk Bookish: Do Book Buying Bans Work For You?

Let’s Talk Bookish is a weekly meme hosted by Rukky @ Eternity Books and Dani @ Literary Lion. Today’s topic is Do Book Buying Bans Work For You?

The book community is full of consumerism. People want to not just read their favorite books, but own them as well. Sometimes this can get…a little out of hand. How do you control your spending/buying books you don’t have time to read? Does setting a book buying ban work for you? How long do you usually ban yourself for?

I generally don’t have much of a problem with buying too many books. The library has been a wonderful resource and as I can find nearly any book I want to read there, for many years now, I tend to only buy those books I’ve read and absolutely loved. Shelf space is a constraint for me, so I prefer to have them full of my favourite books that I know I’ll return to repeatedly.

Another reason I don’t buy books often is that they become rather fragile with time. The copies of the first few books of the Harry Potter series that I own are nearly 20 years old, and the wear and tear is beginning to show on the pages no matter how much care I’ve always taken with them. It’s a good reminder for me that buying books and having shelf space for them aside, it’s also important to consider the effort it takes to maintain said books, especially if they’re cherished copies of childhood favourites or perhaps a special edition.

I don’t use book buying bans as such to control the number of books I buy, rather I allow myself a few specific times of year to buy books, namely mid-May (when the highly anticipated summer titles are usually available), my birthday, Black Friday and Christmas. Due to the aforementioned reasons, I rarely pick up more than one or two books on each of these occasions, and sometimes none at all, so this system continues to work pretty well for me.

Do you set book buying bans for yourself? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

10 thoughts on “Let’s Talk Bookish: Do Book Buying Bans Work For You?

1. I'm All Booked Up YA January 14, 2022 / 12:02 pm

Th only book buying ban I do is right before Christmas and my birthday. It’s because I usually books as gifts.

2. readandreviewit1 January 14, 2022 / 2:06 pm

Wow, I wish I had this level of control! Buying wayyy too many books became a massive issue for me last year but I’m really trying to cut down this year and I’ve already donated some of my collection. I’m hoping my willpower can last until I make a decent chunk in my tbr! Thanks for sharing.

• Raji (@journeyintofantasy) January 30, 2022 / 7:58 pm

I totally get that, I used to keep buying books all the time too until many years ago when I had to move to a different country and had to give away 3/4th of my collection, including some faves 😢 So now I’m extra careful to not let that happen again. Thanks for reading!

3. Jaya Avendel January 14, 2022 / 3:37 pm

As a rule, I do not buy too many books but I love seeing where you most often buy, as I think it is clever to focus buying when stories you are looking forward to are coming out!

Refining my to-read list of books I would like to own gives me something to set money aside for, though. 🙂

• Raji (@journeyintofantasy) January 30, 2022 / 8:03 pm

Yes, it’s a strategy that usually works for me because I also tend to be really picky about the format or edition that I want, so I know well in advance when that will be out and can appropriately prepare both my bookshelf and my wallet 😀

4. Marta the Monogamist Reader January 16, 2022 / 12:43 pm

That’s a great system! I’m trying to limit my purchases and so far so good but perhaps buying during specific occasions is a good idea.

• Raji (@journeyintofantasy) January 30, 2022 / 7:53 pm

I find buying around occasions a good strategy because I can look forward to it and plan what I want in advance, or there’s going to be a huge book sale and I’d end up shopping anyway 😅 Thanks for reading!