Let’s Talk Bookish: The Difference Between Book Addicts and Book Lovers

Let’s Talk Bookish is a weekly meme hosted by Rukky @ Eternity Books and Dani @ Literary Lion. Today’s topic is The Difference Between Book Addicts and Book Lovers.

First of all, how do you define a book addict and a book lover? Which one are you? What are the differences between the two?

I had to really stop and think about this one, and even now, I’m not really sure I have it figured out, so I’d love to hear your opinions on this topic! I’d say a book lover is someone who enjoys reading and also has a good appreciation for books. Book addict sounds more like a negative connotation, so perhaps someone who is obsessed with reading, or buying books but not necessarily reading them.

I consider myself a book lover because while I do love books and spend a lot of time reading, it’s still a healthy relationship as I do have other things I enjoy doing in my free time like watching movies, listening to music etc.

Do you think that being a book addict is harmful for a person? Are there merits to being a book addict vs a book lover?

It could be harmful if they’re reading or buying books just for the sake of it, or maybe reading so much that they begin to neglect other things in life. A book addiction might not be as bad as some other addictions, but I don’t see any merits to it as anything taken to an extreme is never a good thing. That said, I’ve never really come across anyone who has such an unhealthy relationship with books to the extent that they are literally unable to put down a book or would be completely lost without one. Being a book lover on the other hand, is wonderful. There’s are so many amazing books out there, so many worlds and stories to discover, and there is something that every type of reader can appreciate.

What do you think makes a reader a book addict or a book lover? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

8 thoughts on “Let’s Talk Bookish: The Difference Between Book Addicts and Book Lovers

1. Jaya Avendel February 25, 2022 / 4:57 pm

Hmm, I am fascinated by this question! I think a book addict will read the trash and the treasure without complaint and so perhaps is more into the reading/collection of books and less into the stories.

A book lover, for me, explores the relationships and concepts in the stories and learns from the reading experience. 🙂

• Raji (@journeyintofantasy) February 27, 2022 / 6:13 pm

That’s a great distinction between the two, for possible book addicts to be more about reading than considering the quality of what they’re reading! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

2. calypte February 26, 2022 / 7:12 am

Addict is usually a negative word, but I think it’s used far more lightly/jokingly for book addicts and probably means much the same as book lover? I wouldn’t be offended to be called a book addict – I’d probably agree! But like you I think I have an entirely good and healthy relationship with books.

Liked by 2 people

• Raji (@journeyintofantasy) February 27, 2022 / 6:11 pm

That’s an interesting perspective! You’re probably right that the term ‘book addict’ is used more in a joking fashion rather than the extreme scenario, and as long as it’s a healthy habit, no harm in it. Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts!

3. Raina Nightingale February 26, 2022 / 11:59 am

This is interesting. I’ve never really made the distinction between a book lover & a book addict. But maybe I’m some of both? I want to read the books I like in some sense, that I’m satisfied about reading, but I also sometimes really hate having to put a book down in the middle!

• Raji (@journeyintofantasy) February 27, 2022 / 6:09 pm

I can certainly relate to that, I often sit down for hours at a stretch with a book and it takes a lot to make me put it down part way! Thanks for reading!