Let’s Talk Bookish: Eating and Reading: Yay or Nay?

Let’s Talk Bookish is a weekly meme created by Rukky @ Eternity Books and hosted by Aria @ Book Nook Bits where we discuss certain topics, share our opinions, and spread the love by visiting each others’ posts. Today’s topic is Eating and Reading: Yay or Nay?

Do you ever (carefully) eat and read at the same time? Or are your books too precious to possibly get dirty?

I’m extremely careful when it comes to my books, and they are rarely, if ever near food. I never eat when I’m reading a physical book, and always use my kindle or phone instead. I do occasionally enjoy a light snack while reading, but I’m careful to pick something non-oily.

Perhaps eating and an audiobook? Do any books ever make you hungry?

I generally listen to audiobooks when I’m focused on doing something else, and I can just let it play in the background, but since I can perfectly focus on reading at the same time as eating, that’s a definite no.

As for books making me hungry, well it depends. If I’m really engrossed in a book, I could easily skip a meal and not even notice, but conversely, if I keep feeling the need to stop for snacks, I take that as a hint to take a break from the book because it’s clearly not working for me.

Is there a time and place for a nice snack or meal with a good book, or should books be focused on independently?

There’s nothing better than a mug of steaming hot chocolate to go with a book on a chilly or rainy afternoon, but most of the time I try to avoid eating/drinking and reading at the same time, because I’m so intent on my book that I tend to lose track of how much I’m eating, especially with junk food. I do agree though, that when possible, books should be focused on independently – it’s always lovely to sit down with a book and read it from beginning to end in one go.

Do you ever eat and read at the same time? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

10 thoughts on “Let’s Talk Bookish: Eating and Reading: Yay or Nay?

1. Fadima Mooneira April 8, 2022 / 7:46 am

Yes! I do eat and drink while I read. I love have some nuts , raisins, hot tea, and even hot chocolate while I read. Hehehe ^_^

2. Sarah April 8, 2022 / 12:43 pm

I do occasionally eat and drink while reading. With audiobooks, I have no problem with doing so, with an e-reader I often have snacks, nothing messy, stuff like crackers, chocolate, and water. But when it comes to physical books, I rarely eat anything while reading – if I get hungry I take a break, have a snack and then return to reading once I know my hands are clean again.

• Raji (@journeyintofantasy) April 9, 2022 / 8:16 pm

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts! It’s great that you’re so careful with your physical books. There are definitely some particular books on my shelves I would never leave around food or drink of any sort.

3. readandreviewit1 April 8, 2022 / 1:39 pm

This was really interesting hearing your thoughts! I don’t eat and read often (like you, I often find myself losing tracking of how much I’m eating) and if I do I make sure it’s nothing that could damage it! I always drink and read at the same time though. Thank you so much for sharing!

• Raji (@journeyintofantasy) April 9, 2022 / 8:14 pm

Very true, that is my chief concern with regards to eating and reading too, that it might damage my books. Thanks for reading and commenting!

4. AmethystAP April 9, 2022 / 4:06 pm

I typically read while eating on my lunch break at work, but only an e-book. I perfect to sit and read physical books without distractions. It’s easy to lose track of what you’re eating. Plus it’s had to enjoy a meal with a book in hand.

• Raji (@journeyintofantasy) April 9, 2022 / 8:11 pm

That’s a great point! Eating and reading at the same time can be distracting and it’s makes it hard to fully enjoy either. Thanks for reading and commenting!

5. Miriam Elen April 11, 2022 / 3:22 pm

I always always always drink tea whilst reading! It’s just the cosiest thing.

And if I’m really into a book and can’t put it down, then I will eat dinner with it in front of me… but like you, I use my kindle when I do that!

• Raji (@journeyintofantasy) April 17, 2022 / 9:30 pm

I agree, tea is one of my go to beverages as well on the rare occasion that I drink something while reading! Thanks for reading and commenting!